Mission statement & Aims
Mission Statement & Aims
The European Forum for Animal Welfare Councils provides a platform for debate, for sharing information and views and a network for members of the Animal Welfare advisory bodies throughout Europe. The forum encourages advice relating to animal welfare to be based on scientific knowledge from multi-disciplinary fields.
Exchanging views and knowledge relating to animal welfare and ethical issues
- by exchanging views and knowledge to help in the formulation of advice regarding animal welfare and animal ethics by advisory bodies.
- by exchanging views informally and in a non-binding way – which is of particular importance to those representing Government Departments rather than an independent advisory body.
- by holding discussions and raising issues that might be beyond national comfort zones, without members feeling the need to qualify their statements with national interests.
- by sharing information about animal welfare priorities and work already carried out.
- by serving as a network for members – also between meetings.
- by collaborating with other international bodies such as the European Commission, (EC), the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE), the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) to exchange experiences about animal welfare legislation and practices.
Exchanging best practices about Animal Welfare advisory bodies' work
- by exchanging information on the organisation and structures of Animal Welfare advisory bodies in Europe.
- by promoting best practices for efficiency of Animal Welfare advisory bodies in Europe.
- by promoting the use of Animal Welfare advisory bodies to advise Governments in countries where they were yet to be established.